Thank you so much for reading Henrietta. Here are some discussion questions related to Henrietta designed to spur conversation and delve into some of the themes within the book.
- Should Etta have stayed in Minnesota and withstood the public humiliation related to her relationship with Owen Randall? Was she right to want to escape her past? Why do you feel the way you do?
- Did Tom start things off with Etta the way he should have? Do you think he was less than honest with Etta? Or with himself?
- Do you think dating relationships work when the woman “takes charge” of the depth of the relationship? How has this worked in your experience? What would you recommend to young couples in this regard and why?
- In many ways, Etta began to see how her life mirrored her great-grandmother. Do you think it’s possible that we inherently mimic our ancestors, even if we don’t know their history or stories? Do you think the story of your ancestor’s lives has shaped or influenced your own? Why do you feel the way you do?
- Should Tom have given up his summer position on Isle Royale to be with Etta? Why do you feel the way you do?
- If Etta hadn’t been kidnapped, do you think Tom and Etta would have gotten back together? Why do you think that way?
- Do you think Joe Peabody deserves Etta’s compassion? Why or why not?
- What do you think is the next chapter for Tom and Etta?